After Swink became a town, schools were built. In 1907 four teachers were hired. Swink School was built in 1921. In May 1923, Swink celebrated its first graduating class. That year four students graduated. The first four graduates of Swink School were: Galen Newkirk, Joseph Arraj, Alfred Arraj, & Clair Wasson.
In 1955 they added a new building and a gym. Also that year Fairmont and Fairview joined Swink School.
On June 13, 1955 the people of District 33 voted 175 to 56 to build a new building northeast of the school on the land the district purchased prior to voting. July 1st construction was started with Mr. Howard Kranz of La Junta contracting the concrete jobs. Mr. Kranz was also appointed by the Board of Education to supervise the rest of the construction. The building consisted of a gymnasium, school shop, mechanical drawing room, finishing room, two dressing rooms, music office, cafeteria, kitchen, janitors' utility room, coaches' office and officials' dressing room, lobby, two public rest rooms and a large storage space under the north side bleachers. The gymnasium seated approximately 875 people.
The picture above was presented to the Swink Public and School Library by Pattie Zimmerman and Peggy Gearhart in their parents' name, Ralph and Frances Kenagy.
The original prints came from the Kennedy Book Store in Rocky Ford. These prints were made by Ralph Kenagy from prints belonging to George Thatcher.